Books and videotapes about the history, geography, and general aspects of Illinois, Chicago, Villa Park, and other locations within the state may be found at the following call numbers:
|Adult Services (First Floor)||917.73 through 917.7399
977.3 through 977.349
|Youth Services (Second Floor)||J917.73 through J917.735
J977.3 through J977.324
"About Illinois" shelf
Additional books, on specific topics (e.g., Chicago sports teams), may be available under other call numbers.
The Youth Services Department has pamphlet files of booklets, brochures, and other information which may be checked out. For local information, look in the files under the categories of Chicago, Illinois, and Villa Park, along with any subcategories.
College catalogs from Illinois schools are available near the Adult Services Reference
Videorecordings of recent Villa Park Village Board meetings are available at 320.8/VIL in the Adult Services Nonfiction Collection.
The Adult Services Department maintains a small, non-circulating local history
collection, which is located near the Reference desk on the first floor. The local
history collection includes:
- High school yearbooks — York (1942-1959, some years missing) and Willowbrook
(1960-current, some years missing).
- The Village of Villa Park annual operating budget (1985-current) and comprehensive
annual financial report (1982-current).
- Other documents from the Villa Park and DuPage County governments.
- A selection of books about the history of Illinois, DuPage County, Villa Park, and
In addition to several books on the history and geography of Illinois and local areas
in the state, the non-circulating reference collection in the Adult Services Department
includes several documents from local governmental bodies:
- Villa Park Municipal Code
- Code of DuPage County
- Minutes of the board meetings of the Village of Villa Park and the Villa Park Public Library.
The Youth Services Department maintains a special "About Illinois" shelf of non-circulating books in its reference area.
Microfilm of the Villa Park Argus (1931-current), Villa Park Independent (2003-current) and Villa Park Review (1979-current) newspapers are available for in-library viewing in the Adult Services reference area. An index of Villa Park obituaries published in the Argus may be browsed on this website.
The Library subscribes to the following other local news sources (back issues are
housed in the Adult Services periodicals room):
- Chicago Sun-Times (kept for 1 month)
- Chicago Tribune (1 month; the Chicago Tribune Historical Archive and America’s Newspapers extend coverage back to the 1850′s)
- Crain’s Chicago Business (6 months)
- Daily Herald (1 month)
- Villa Park Argus (1 month)
A large file of local-interest newspaper clippings, brochures, maps, statistics, and
other documents is located at the Adult Reference desk. The community file includes
folders covering these categories: